1. Understand your product's correlation with the weather.
2. Design repeatable weather based playbooks for your business.
If it snows tomorrow more than 6” for more than 30 million people/ 50% of our stores then our ecommerce team executes this standard checklist of items:
- Email & Web: Expect Delayed shipping website messaging added due to severe weather
- Media Team: 25% media spend reduction on these five product categories for next two days
- Media Team: 10% media spend increase on these two snow related products for next 24 hours
- Email Team: Update to Snow based pictures for this weeks email series
- Alert customer service and operations that we are executing severe snow playbook
3. Track weather related KPI’s
What was the average temperature last week? Did it rain more than last year? Here are resources to get you started:
4. Get your media campaigns weather enabled
This can range from the simple (turning on and off prebuilt weather related campaigns) to the very complex (conditional near real time updating of creative for 40,000 retail locations over google, bing, facebook, retargeting, video, and display).
Weather resources for digital campaigns:
5. Educate your team to add value
If your organization needs help thinking about how to use weather to grow your business.
We would love to take your temperature.